Wednesday, 21 March 2012

Butter London Knackered & Bossy Boots Swatches and Review

Hi everyone!

A few weeks ago I got this AMAZING offer to review two polishes from the Butter London Spring/Summer 2012 collection from Nail Polish Canada. Truth be told, when I got the email I gasped out loud. :D

So.. today I have my two picks from the collection, Knackered and Bossy Boots!

First up, Bossy Boots!


First of all, I LOVE this colour. Bossy Boots is a very trendy pistachio green. It kind of reminds me of one of Stranger Tides from the OPI Pirates of the Caribbean collection, but I don't have that on hand at the moment so I can't do a comparison just yet. Then again, it has been a really long time since I last saw Stranger Tides, so I might be completely off. The formula on this polish was wonderful. It was really pigmented and I found it very easy to apply. I used 2 coats for full opacity. 


Bossy Boots is like what would happen if two of my favourite polishes ever had a baby. On the far left is Illamasqua MILF and Load is on the far right. I'm glad to report that Bossy Boots dries much faster and applies much better than either of the Illamasquas.

Next up, we have Knackered!


 Knackered. I remember this one caused a stir when the promo images were released, and for a good reason. This is a gorgeous polish. It's a grey-purple-green duochrome, with tiny holographic glitter scattered all over. Pictured above is 2 coats of Knackered over Cult Nails' Time Traveler (a navy blue creme). Knackered on its own is pretty sheer and so looks much, much better over a dark base. For some reason, dark base colours make the duochrome really pop. You don't really need to worry about the duochrome being subtle at all, because it's very strong, and the holographic glitter sparkles like mad. I suppose the only thing I don't really like about this polish is that it looks kinda brushstroke-y in my photos, but the brushstrokes really aren't that apparent in person.

Overall:

Pros:
-Some really gorgeous colours here. Bossy Boots is absolutely perfect for Spring, it reminds me of new shoots and pistachio ice cream (which is unrelated to spring but worth mentioning anyway). Knackered reminds me of the transition between Winter and Spring, with snow melting and such. The holographic glitter particles remind me of light hitting melting snow... I digress.
-The formula is smooth and pigmented (in Bossy Boots) and dries fast.
-Bossy Boots dries with a nice shine.

Cons:
-Knackered is rather sheer on its own, but layering it over a darker colour makes the sheerness of the polish no longer a problem. I'd definitely recommend wearing it over a darker polish base.
-Knackered can look brushstroke-y upon very close inspection
-Knackered also doesn't dry with the same shine as Bossy Boots (not surprisingly though) and so requires a nice coat of top coat to make it shiny.

I'm definitely happy with these two polishes. Man, if all of the Butter London cremes have the same formula as Bossy Boots, I definitely need to get more. I regret not buying British Racing Green the other day... now it's on my wishlist along with Disco Biscuit. I'm still on a no buy, even though I kind of broke it by buying Tart with a Heart and the Black Knight, but I'm trying to go ahead with the no buy and pretend that that didn't happen.*cough* ;)

You can buy these two polishes (and more!) from Nail Polish Canada. I honestly really love how they make some brands more accessible in Canada (I'm looking at you, Zoya!). Also, for the time being, they have a Giveaway up for the whole Butter London Spring/Summer collection! Check it out here!

Well, that's all for today! It's time for me to get back to freaking out over the upcoming end of semester and start working on those presentations! Eek!

Thanks for reading! :D

Marisa

**The product(s) featured in this post were provided to me for review purposes. The opinions expressed in this post are purely my own. For more information, please see my Disclosure Policy.

1 comment:

  1. Omg Knackered looks soooo pretty and same with Bossy Boots! *____* I'm on the hunt for a non-streaky mint/turquoise green color - which do you prefer? Bossy Boots or MILF?? or are there other polishes you recommend? :D

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment! Thank you for reading my blog, and I'll try my best to reply to your comments!